Wednesday 25 August 2010

I promise I'll get out more next week!

Well, here I am - day 2 in the Brighton flat, feeling totally at home, relaxed and knowing that the move was right. In the past few days I've changed town, moved home (kind of the same thing, but trying to emphasise the 'new') and started a new job.

I hope this blog is going to be as much as an informative guide to Brighton as it will be an account of my own personal experience. However, today's post is very much about my stay, as I've spent all my time either at work or in the flat. (by the way, that isn't how it's going to be, I will get a life! Just warming up and getting into things)

The Flat
Until my flat is ready in September I'd arranged a flatshare in Kemptown. Not knowing what the it would be like I'd planned to be here for a week only, happy to have found a base to start. You can imagine how pleased I was to find out that not only is the flat right by the sea, but the people I'd be living with, Benedict and Verena would be such great flatmates - really considerate and lots to talk about. Good move I'd say!

The Atmosphere
The moment I got off the train in Brighton I lost all of the London 'angst' which had been building up after a week of tube delays during my 'staycation'. There is an atmosphere of calm, and underlying 'cool' here which just doesn't lend itself to being overly stressed - as if there's an unspoken rule which says 'undue stress is not done here!'

The Job
Well, I spent most of day 1 listening to Nicole, my new manager, teach me all about the role and company. Although the information overload was quite overwhelming, at the same time it was motivating to think of all the people I'm going to meet and things I have to learn. There's no doubt that there is a huge learning curve ahead and Nicole has such enthusiasm for the products and explained things so clearly that I feel well prepared for whatever might be ahead....

The Cat
The last section was going to be dedicated to the beach, but I think that's going to have to be put on hold as I have met the best cat ever - Circe. On my first night I was home alone - not only did Circe tell me when she needed feeding; but she showed me where the food was, how she liked to be stroked and accompanied me wherever I went. Now, I know my mum is going to be freaking out at this point, thinking that her daughter is going to turn into a hermit who sits at home with at cat, so mum, just to reassure you - I promise I'll get out more next week!

1 comment:

Fiona said...

Laura you are making me want to pack my bags and just move with you...

Post a Comment