Sunday 26 September 2010

Running to Rottingdean






To counterbalance the excess of Brighton's fish and chips, I thought it would be sensible to fit in a regular run up to Rottingdean. Now Rottingdean, for those of you don't know is the next town along the coast, about 3 miles east. Rottingdean means 'the village of Rota’s people', and was traditionally a place where writers and artists would live for quiet and seclusion. (Perhaps if this blogging lark takes off I'll be moving down there ... the next blog could be called 'from Brighton to Rottingdean' - although being as it is only 3 miles down the road I am not sure it will pull the crowds in. People would say, 'so she is moving down the road and decided to write a blog - how quaint!')
So back to the run, yep. you just leave our flat, turn right, take a left, go past the marina and up the cliffs to the village. It's really cute - there's a choice of cafes for homemade cakes and tea and THE Rottingdean Club. I have a suspician that it's not the kind of club I would normally* frequent and no amount of googling is helping me find the answer to what it is. Anyone have any idea?
After the club you pass by the Convent and take a left into the nature reserve. At this point there's a huge hill, - I must confess I normally walk this bit as it's enormous (see photo below) but really worth the climb as the views on reaching the top are just amazing.
From there it's downhill along side the golf course, and back to the coastal road where you can admire the view of Brighton from afar. The round trip takes about 45 minutes and I'd really recommend it as a great workout (so many coastal runs are too flat); a scenic view and a step away from the hustle and bustle of Brighton town.

*normally = in my youth

1 comment:

Becka said...

I bet Naomi could tell you what the club is. Not that she spends all her time there, just that she seems to know the area

Post a Comment