Friday 17 September 2010

The journey home

Being a seasoned Brightonite (wayhay!) I thought it was about time to take a trip to London. Can I really have the best of both worlds? Live by the sea and keep in touch with London friends? You will not believe how jammy that makes me feel.

Anyway, so got to Brighton station straight after work, ready to jump on the train. Thought a return ticket would be handy, but guess what? There is a train at 1am from London Victoria to Brighton and another at 4am. So what if I want to come home at 2,2.30 or even at 3am? Bit of a pickle here I think...I mean, who would be on the 4am train anyway? - what would the average demographic of folks who need to be in Brighton at 5am or urgently need to leave London at 4am be?

The idea freaked me out a bit (thinking Sunday papers 'lone woman was traveling alone on the 4am train when....'), so opted for the 1am.

Everyone, and I do mean 'everyone' was scoffing away at their McDonalds or Burger Kings, a lot of waffle was being waffled (as waffling normally is.....) and many an aftermath of work parties. The result? A craic! I got the giggles, just looked around me to see all these lawyers, accountants and various traders (and no ... this is not a good place to meet a new man...) ties around their knees, chips hanging out their mouths and giving me advice on everything from living in Brighton to being a commuter to the economic vulnerability of South America!

... now maybe I should try that 4am train next time!

4 comments:

Caroline said...

Love this blog Laura, sounds like you're having an excellent time - but thinking I may have to start one for my experiences in London, or everyone may soon have upped and left for Brighton!

Laura Austin said...

Haha....you can always get on the train back with me next time :)

Stephen Webber said...

You think that's bad? Try any all-night cafe in Brighton and see what that throws up. And be warned, very often that last phrase can be literal...

Fiona said...

sounds interesting to say the least...hope you do get the 4am one the next time just to see what happens..

Post a Comment