Sunday 5 September 2010

The Alternative Notting Hill Carnival

Naomi warned me not to get too excited about this carnival. Having googled it before going I expected there to be a procession and was slightly concerned that I didn't have a costume. I was thinking on the way there how embarrassing it would be to be the only non-dressed up person, although to be fair it would be ten times worse to be the only one in costume!

On arrival I was relieved to find everyone in their normal clothes but disappointed that the 'carnival' was nothing more than a bar, called Concorde2 (by the beach, so no real complaints), with some local people and a band. Unlike the real Notting Hill Carnival there was actually a ladies toilet - what a result! Although it had clearly been designed by a man as there were 4 cubicles and just one tap. There was quite a cosy gathering around that sink as you can imagine...

Not quite the Notting Hill experience, but as you know, any event which involves the avoidance of tubes gets a thumbs up in my book!











2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think it's better to have 4 cubicles and 1 tap than 4 taps and only 1 cubicle...

Stephen Webber said...

Being surrounded by all that Brighton has to offer but instead taking a photo of a wine bottle standing in the shingle is VERY Brighton. You're settling in nicely...

Post a Comment